About Us

Club Officials 2017








Mr Paul Rutter 


Hon. Secretary

Mrs Katie Chadwick


Hon. Treasurer

Mrs Catherine Caparo


Hon. Fixture Secretary

Mr Bill Robson 


Hon Membership Secretary

Mr Sean Rutter 


Youth  Organiser

Mr Richard Drake


1st XI Captain

Mr Stuart Hanks


2nd XI Captain

Mr Richard Bird 


Clubhouse Manager 





Child Welfare Officer

Mrs Adriana Bennett



Mr Brian Kemp 



Mr Bill Robson 


Web Site Administrators


Club Coaches  
 Level 2 Richard Drake
 Level 2 Sri Thedchanamoorthy
 Level 1 Paul Galea
 Coach Support Worker Gary Young
Pagham Cricket Club is a well established and friendly club near Bognor Regis in West Sussex.  Its two league sides play in the Sussex Cricket League on Saturdays along with three social sides representing the club on Sundays, against a wide variety of clubs in Hampshire and Sussex. There are opportunities for youth players to learn and progress from the age of ten through to sixteen and beyond into senior cricket. There are three junior sides playing mostly on Sunday mornings. The junior sides compete in the local colt's league and the Sussex Junior Cricket Festival in July and August.
Pagham's wicket is widely acknowledged as one of the best in the local area. In the 1970s, Sussex C.C.C. held two First Class matches at the ground against Oxford University in 1976 and 1979. According to the CricInfo website, this makes the ground a member of a 'select' group of about 340 in the UK! (See list of grounds used for First Class Cricket). The club has practice and coaching sessions, supervised by badge-holding coaches.
The Club is a registered Community Amateur Sports Club and is affiliated to both the Sussex Cricket Board and the ECB.  The Club is currently working towards 'ECB Clubmarkaccreditation. The main Club documents in support of this can be found here.



History of Pagham Cricket Club




As with most Cricket Clubs, one or many families normally form the backbone of the Club. Pagham C.C. have been no exception to the rule over the years.



William Holland Ballet Fletcher

Born around 1850, he studied and was awarded his BA in 1875 followed by his Masters four years later. His Legal career began in 1882. 

He married Agnes Caroline Nicholls in 1875 and moved into Aldwick Manor (previously Bersted Lodge, now Hotham House) in 1900 upon inheriting the Lordship of the Manor of Aldwick. He was a great scholar and collector of books and antiques. His other main interests were lepidoptera, horticulture and antiques. His wife was a Fellow of the Zoological Society and used to keep many strange and varied animals around the house and gardens, including crocodiles, pythons, Boa-Constrictors and various other lizards and iguana.
He was a fairly wealthy landowner and a very busy one too. At different times he was an Alderman of Chichester, a Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the West Sussex Education Committee, served on various local councils, and in between, sat as President of the Sussex Agricultural Society and South Bersted and Pagham Cricket Clubs in addition to the Bognor Nursing Association.  


In later life, he shunned the public eye, having 'crossed swords' with some of his fellow councillors. The consequence of his exasperation at local politics was that in his will, upon leaving the grounds of Pagham and Bognor Cricket Clubs to the Clubs themselves, he stipulated that 'no member of a Local Authority should ever be a member of their Committees…'



When William Fletcher died in 1941, his estate was valued at a third of a million pounds (a considerable fortune in those days) and being childless (due to his sons having predeceased him), he left the balance of his estate to the local hospitals and his Alma Mater, and also ordered that no loans outstanding to him were to be repaid. He had ordered a tombstone for his and his wife's graves, but as there were insufficient funds to pay for it at the time, nothing was erected until 1980, when the money was raised by local contributions - thus his own generosity was repaid.


The Stoners  


The Stoner family connection with Pagham C.C. commenced in the 1920's with the grandfather, Charles Frederick, who was an umpire, and William, his son, as a player in the 1930s.



William had two sons, Don and Ken, and they both started their cricketing careers with Pagham in the late 1940's. However, throughout the decade the batting averages were frequently dominated by another member of the Stoner 'clan', Don's father-in-law, Clifford Suter.  


One of the boyhood memories they enjoyed was, whilst watching their father play, having the privilege of seeing the brothers, Dennis and Leslie, who were posted next to the ground during the War, play at Pagham. In fact, they would often be seen using the old Groundsman's hut as their cookhouse. The most outstanding achievement of that period was in 1947, when Clifford Suter scored three centuries from a fixture list that was restricted to Saturdays and Bank Holidays only.



With the coming of the 1960's, most games would feature at least 2 Stoners on the pitch and another either scoring or providing the teas. With brother Ken keeping wicket, many adversaries were sent back to the pavilion with the lethal combination of Don's inswingers and Ken's leg side stumpings. Roy was the next Stoner to appear on the scene, which then meant another 3 or 4 Stoners around the ground, as whilst Roy would open the batting, Eileen could be seen attempting to control either 'Sweep', or the children, from the scorebox. In fact it was due to another of Don's children, Gillian, that Pagham C.C. came to national fame, when in 1977, a cricket magazine featured a league match at Hailsham in which Gillian had been called upon to play.  


Probably the most recognised high spot for a Stoner in recent cricket was Don's tremendous bowling effort at Steyning in 1980: that of 8 wickets for 7 runs, which helped dismiss the home side for 13 runs, both still League records.



Don tells of many a game with affection, but the one that gave him the most personal satisfaction was against a Strong Antilles (West Indian tourists) side which included the West Indian Test bowler, Tom Dewdney. Don's century that day, against what was the fastest pace attack seen at Pagham for a considerable time, was a model innings of ability, a little 'luck' and a great deal of bravery- "My box still bears testament to his pace", says Don. "I cannot even hammer the dent out …"  


Under the leadership and guidance of Ron Chitty, the post war years were probably the halycon days of cricket at Pagham. By the 1960's Buster Lloyd had captained Pagham to the position of being one of the strongest teams in and around East Hampshire. Recognition of this came when the Club was invited to become a founder member of the Sussex County League in 1976.



This was to prove a significant turning point in the club's history as it was divided down the middle over the issue, and at a subsequent special meeting the vote went 'against' by the narrowest of margins. This proved disastrous as within a few weeks the major part of the First Team had dispersed to other clubs who had opted to join the League. 


Despite this, Pagham had become renowned for the quality of its wickets and facilities that were the envy of larger clubs within the area.



It was in the post-war efforts of the groundsman Harry Greenway and his son, Ron, that the Club laid the foundations of its excellent wicket. Thankfully this tradition is being continued by Dick Shrubb, showing all the TLC of his predecessors.  


The quality of the wicket in the late 1970's was so good that the President, the late Terry Groome, proposed to Sussex C.C.C. that they include Pagham as a First Team venue on a regular basis.



One of the club's proudest moments came in June 1976 when all the hard work came to fruition. Players on the field that day included Vic Marks, Chris Tavare (who scored 105 not out), Kepler Wessels and Javed Miandad. In the next season, the County, with a bowling attack led by the Pakistani Prince, Imran Khan, played in a 3 day match agaist Ireland and lost. The match itself is described in the Irish Cricket Union's website in some detail.  The last First Class game to be played at Pagham was in 1979.  


Over the years, we have played against many County and Test players at Pagham, but perhaps it is more surprising who has played for Pagham. Jim Parks had been known to 'guest', and with the blessing of the County, the Greig brothers-Tony and Ian- both played their first games for Pagham before eventually ascending to the England Test team. We have also enjoyed the skills of some retired County players such as Denis Foreman (also a favourite at Brighton and Hove Albion F.C.) and Graham Cooper.
The 1980's onwards
Since 1980 the Club has played in the Sussex Invitation League. The 1st XI's best finish in this period has been 2nd place in Division 1 in 2002, under the captaincy of Kiwi, Craig Primmer.
The 2nd XI won their division in 1985 and were runner's up in 1986.
Craig Primmer's bowling abilities made national news in 2005 when a remarkable spell of bowling in the SIL Sunday Cup saw him take 7-0 off 2.4 overs (including two hatricks), to demolish RAM CC to 26 all out! (Daily Telegraph link)
A trip to Rajasthan in February 2005 with matches in Udaipur, Jaipur and  Jodhpur thanks to the hospitality of Ajay Singh's Rajput Warriors was a unique experience for the Club. Matches against Indian teams coming to Pagham have occured regularly ever since.
In June 2007, Pagham's application to join the 3rd Division of the Sussex Cricket League was accepted, some thirty years after the those at the Club, uncomfortable with league cricket, turned down the opportunity to do so.
The future of any cricket club is uncertain but with its rich history and the opportunity that now presents itself, let us hope that good quality cricket will be a feature at Pagham for many years to come.
 The text of this page is available for modification and reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License and the GNU Free Documentation License  (unversioned, with no invariant sections, front-cover texts, or back-cover texts)